Friday, January 8, 2010

Any emotion advice for a teen traveling to france for a language program alone?

I'm going on a french immersion program in a couple of days and will be gone for a month. I've never been anywhere without at least a few friends I know. I'm fifteen and have a lot of friends but am not good at making them. It usually takes me a very long time to form friendships. My parents said I could cancel last minute, but the deposit was very expensive and I would feel bad. Also, I want to prepare myself for college. I'm really grateful that I get to go to Paris, but I'm worried I'll be lonely and the other people and I won't get along. Help please; advice, anyone else done anything like this?Any emotion advice for a teen traveling to france for a language program alone?
I've never been on an immersion program, but you should definitely go! it's a great experience, and you may never get the chance to again. if you're going, i assume it's because you're taking French, so brush up on a few common French phrases. On the way, maybe talk to the person you're sitting next to; sometimes they can be quite interesting! When you're there, see how many shopkeepers you can engage in a conversation: about nationality, weather, must-see places, anything. And don't get discouraged. If you go, you are already doing a very hard and confusing thing. 'A' for effort, and all that. Also, if you seem comfortable, people will feel good talking to you and will kindly correct you, if you slip up. That's the whole point--learn how the class you took is actually real life. Be open and curious, and look for things you don't understand, then ask about them. maybe make a point to ask at least 5 questions a day? The French are all very friendly to tourists, even though they sometimes get a bad rap. And don't forget to try a chocolate croissant!! Above all, have fun:)Any emotion advice for a teen traveling to france for a language program alone?
I've never done this before, but I'm very shy myself, and I've always wanted to study abroad.





I would go if I were you. That's a great opportunity. Don't worry about being lonely. Just try to be friendly to others on the trip. On the trip over there, try to talk to somebody who looks nice and ask them about how they feel about going to France. Try to stay in contact with your parents and friends while there (via e-mail, phone, whatever works) because it might help ease the loneliness.





Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment