Friday, January 8, 2010

Advice for a teen starting an editing business around her school?

I'm 16, and I want to have a career as an editor for a publishing house. I'm taking a heavy course load this year and thus do not have time for a job. However, I copy edited a 500pg novel for a teacher last year and got paid rather handsomely, and my friends are always coming to me asking me to glance at their school papers to check for typos. I was thinking that I would combine these into a little business venture where I would charge a set rate per page (probably around $0.50 or so) and copy edit people's school essays for them. I'd make it quite clear that I'd only be checking spelling and grammar, not doing the work for them; I think this would make it okay with school rules and all. I was thinking that I could make some fliers and ask the teachers who like me to hang them up in their classrooms or something, and I could also get publicity on Facebook.





I was wondering if anybody had any advice for me, like if $0.50 is an acceptable rate per page, if anyone has any more publicity ideas, or anything really. I've never really tried to start a business before, so I kind of feel like a fish out of water! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!Advice for a teen starting an editing business around her school?
I think it's an awesome idea!





Not sure about the price I think it's bit too cheap. BUT to be on the safe side be sure to do your research on how much others charge for the same service. Make sure to charge less than what the others charge but don't sell yourself short by making your prices too low.





Definitely talk to the teachers about it...they could have cool ideas about how to get the word and and also it'll clarify that you're only proofreading NOT doing their work for them. Because as the word gets out, the message could get twisted so clear that up before hand to save trouble in the future.





Other than that, I think it's GREAT! Publicity would do well in the school paper, with fliers, MySpace, your school blog, BUT word-of-mouth will spread faster than anything.





GOOD LUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment